How she made the leap from academia to award-winning gin maker
Dervilla McGowan is the Geelong-based owner, distiller and CEO of Anther Spirits.
Dervilla McGowan had always loved science, ever since she was a kid. She went on to study microbiology at uni and even completed a PhD.
But at the end of her studies, she realised a career in academia wasn’t for her… and instead she wanted to use her scientific skills to make craft gin!
Derv and her hubby launched Anther in 2016, an award-winning gin brand that celebrates Australian botanicals and employs mostly women. More recently, they built their own distillery and bar at the historic woollen mills in North Geelong.
Derv is now a leader in Australia’s craft distillation industry and is passionate about supporting and empowering more women to join her.
In this episode, Derv chats with host Jacqui Ooi about:
- What drew her to study science and why she eventually gave it up
- How her early days as a bartender in London developed her palate and interest in spirits
- The process of making a career change in her 40s and starting a business with no formal training
- Why she loves making gin and championing women in the distillation industry
- Her best tips and recommendations for aspiring career changers and business owners
Listen to this episode
SIGN UP to our newsletter
For inspiring career change stories, tips, resources and more!
*We promise not to bombard you with crazy amounts of emails, and to send you information we think will be of value to awesome, purpose-driven women such as yourself. You may opt-out anytime.
Follow What She Did Next
never miss an episode
Listen and subscribe in your favourite podcast app
What She Did Next acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the Land on which this podcast is recorded and produced, the Cammeraygal people of the Eora nation and the Wodi Wodi people of the Dharawal nation. We pay our respects to their Elders, past, present and emerging.
Copyright What She Did Next – All rights reserved